Week 4/ Response to Mavy

Mavy's Post:

This week I had the chance to read some of the last chapters on the “Art of Possibility.” One of the takeaways I had was from chapter 9 “Lighting a Spark.” This chapter opened my eyes on how people tend to get volunteers to participate in project. Most people believe that it is best to persuade individuals to do what is needed for a project; however, in this chapter, the author mentions enlisting individuals who share your passion for the project that is being creating. By sharing and expressing what we envision and lighting a spark with those we wish to help, we make a more beneficial scenario of attitude in connecting the two sides of a project. This was important for me since I am a passionate person when it comes to Art, despite the fact that most administration seemingly feel that the Arts are expendable. By expressing my vision of how Art can affect students, I feel I can help spark a light in members of the community that can result in a renewed support for Art programs.
 
My response to Mavy's post:
 
Mavy, I too took away so much from this particular chapter. Last Friday, my Dean of Education made me aware of his concerns with my upcoming trip to Florida (graduation). He was troubled about coverage in the classroom due to the down sizing within my department. Regardless if my time was approved in June, changes may affect it. Of course, my anxiety took over and I seeked advice from my team leader. He recommended sending the Campus President an email about my worries and seeing what he would suggest. I decided I would email him on Monday but I kept putting it off because I was worried about the outcome. Chapter 9 of the Art of Possibility (Sparking the Light) helped me gain insight in regards of dealing with people and situations. I didn’t realize the opportunities one can lose when you don’t deal with situations first hand. Yesterday I decided to pay a visit to my campus president instead of sending an email and have a discussion about my concerns. To my surprise the outcome was positive and I will be booking my trip for Florida tomorrow with no worries.  If I had taken the other route, who knows what the outcome would have been? Like Ben Zander’s father once said, “Certain things in life are better done in person.” I learned a valuable lesson with this chapter.
 

Post a Comment