Week 4/ Response to Steve

Steve's post:
The Game of Life
- From Freedigitalphotos.net
Reading Chapter 10,  "Being the Board" of the Zander's book made me think about Milton-Bradley's board game called "The Game of Life." In the board game, your lot in life was a matter of chance - a roll of the dice.  In contrast, "The Art of Possibility" implies that your lot in life is a matter of choice.  Although there are obviously external factors in this Universe of which we have no control, how we act and react in our individual lives are certainly our own responsibility.   That is what the Zander's meant by "being the board." Playing the 'blame game" solves nothing.  We need to see our role in the events of our life and accept responsibility.  On page 142, the Zander's ask us to tell ourselves "I am the framework for everything that happens in my life."

Chapter 9, "
Lighting a Spark," speaks of "enrollment" - the art and practice of generating a spark of possibilities in others.  This practice fits in with the idea of giving back.  The Zanders speak of "the Life Force," and how important it is for us to not only find our own spark of possibilities, but to help others find theirs as well.

I loved Chapter 11 of the book, "
Creating Frameworks for Possibility" because it talked about "creating the vision."  The grander the vision, the greater the positive effect on our world.  Dr. Martin Luther King and Ghandi are discussed in this chapter.  What I like about this chapter is that it reminds me of why all of us are in this EMDTMS program. We are all trying to create a grander vision of how to educate our students - of how to pass on knowledge and hopefully create a better generation of leaders for our future. A vision to create a better, more enlightened, world.

"
Telling the We Story," Chapter 12, is all about inclusion.  The Zander's explain that the I/You dichotomy leads to conflict, and that the best way to resolve such conflict is to replace "I/You" with "We." We need to find the common bond that unites us all to acheive the best of all worlds in a world of possibilities. 

My response to Steve's post:

Steve, I love your comparison of the 2nd life board game to chapter 10 in the book Art of Possibility. I played that game as a child all the time and the comparison makes so much sense. You make a valid point in regards to controlling our reactions toward things beyond our control.  We have to remind ourselves that we must take responsibilities on how we deal with situations in our lives. This is something that I remind myself of everyday. I have no control over the changes that are taking place in my school. Yes, these changes are affecting me in many ways but what can I do about that? They are beyond my control. I can let these changes make me bitter, stressed, or sad, or I can remind myself of all the things I have read in this book. The most important being controlling of my reactions toward things I have no control over. At the end of the day I create my own life.


Post a Comment