Week 2/ Response to Mavy

Mavy's post:

As I read this week’s chapter I was puzzled at early on as to how this book was going to be applied into our lives. I reread the chapter looking for the purpose of this book. This is what I got out of it.
I enjoyed reading Chapter 3 and 4 because it really touched home. As a child, I have always been taught to see the potential all human beings. I know everyone has the potential to achieve whatever they want. I am the type of teacher that when a student comes in, they are “A +” human being to me, with great potential, even if they are not showing it. Educators strive to guide them into believing they can achieve excellence.

The current educational system deviates greatly from the ideals many educators possess. Frankly, today’s learning environment strays away from encouraging learning; with that being said, it is funny (to which I mean sad) to see the system push students to compete with one another to the point where if don’t succeed, they are labeled a failure. For example, are students who cannot pass the FCAT in Florida to graduate failures? Considering grades, ability to handle high stakes testing, and overall character, the question deserves to be asked and scrutinized. Now the reading helped to better understand that when students go beyond the grade, and truly fulfill their true potential, they can amaze.

Another things I learned from chapter 4 was being a Contributor. I became a teacher not only  for what I can offer my students, but what I can gain as a learner as well. During my time teaching, I always strive to give my all for my students. I spent countless hours preparing and implementing my knowledge to my students; however, I have times when my students can contribute something new in thought or perspective about how they see art. I have afforded them freedom to contribute to the class and become an equal. I have learned that when we let students have a place where they can give more input then receive, they change their mindsets. I have revised lessons many times to improve the way I teach, as well as where students contribute, but one thing that does not change is that when I give my students the chance to feel like they are a contributor and share, all of them blossom. We work to improve each other and make a difference in lives are around us.


My response to Mavy's post:

Mavy, the reading was puzzling to me as well. As I continued to read further into the chapters I began to see somewhat of a clearer picture. You and I are seeing along the same line in regards to the book, ”Art of Possibility”. I love when you say, Educators strive to guide them into believing they can achieve excellence.” In order for this statement to be valid, the educator must believe in himself or herself first before promoting this to their students. This may become difficult to achieve if we allow the measurements of life to dictate our vision.
This is what was exactly happening to me. The educational system at my school frustrated me very much to the point where I began to lose my vision on what my main goal was. For the past couple of days I was questioning myself; was I selling a dream to my students with all that has been happening at our school? Reading this book gave me some perspective of what is more important and a sneak peek of what the bigger picture is.  You said it best Mavy: we work to improve each other and make a difference in lives all around us.

Post a Comment