Week 3/ Response to Alf

Alfs Post:  
One of the biggest takeaways from reading this particular book is that I have never seen myself so enthusiastic about diving in. Let me reiterate that the “Art of Possibility” by Benjamin and Rosamund Zander is one of those books that you cannot put down; it is a brilliantly refreshing account of the lessons and stories about enjoying life to the fullest. I really like the format of the writing so far because when I read I don’t see words, rather I see an ocean of pictures before me–every chapter is filled with paintings of concepts that I truly understand and appreciate, because the lessons are so applicable in my own life.
Post image for Wk3 Reading: Art of PossibilityAllow me to give a brief summary of each chapter (5-8). Chapter 5 is about stepping down and letting others lead. I have heard it said a lot from teachers that it a humbling and genuine experience when the students teach the teachers. Chapter 6 teaches us to lighten up using Rule Number 6 (hilarious. Chapter 7 is about being present to the way things are so that we can have clarity on the next step we should take. Chapter 8 is about giving way to passion, that is to let go of restraint and participate fully. Benjamin Zander, in one of his anecdotes, referred to this as going “Beyond the F*ck It”. I also learned from these chapters the difference between the calculating vs. central self. I am now striving to be more in contact with the latter because I can see how much good it does for me and for everyone else around me.



My response to Alf's post: 
Alf, I share your same enthusiasm towards the book “Art of Possibility”. This book is much more uplifting and inspirational compared to the other books we’ve had throughout our courses. Not to say that I didn’t learn anything from my other readings, but they were more focused on the subject at hand. So, I as well was not too excited about another book in regards to the technicality of our craft. To the contrary, it was a refreshing read and a guidebook to my place of serenity. This book is helping me understand and cope with all the things that are currently surrounding my life.  I related most to Chapter 5 because it helped me once again to put things in perspective. It felt as if Benjamin, Rosamund, Zander and Mr. Bustillos knew what I was currently going through and said, "take a look at this." As you mentioned this book showcases the “lessons and stories about enjoying life to the fullest” and I am learning how to take those steps regardless of what life throws in my direction, with every chapter I read.

Post a Comment